- Not-for profit organizations
- Volunteer-based organizations or community groups
- Groups or individuals over 18 years old
Eligible Activities and Expenses
- Qualifying activities must take place in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Environmental Defence will contribute a range of funding between $1,000 and $5,000 per successful applicant to support community-based engagement activities and capacity building to help promote increased protection of natural areas within the Greenbelt and surrounding areas.
- Applicants are encouraged to base their funding request on a realistic budget rather than simply applying for the maximum amount. Due to a finite amount of funding we cannot support every proposal but do our best to support multiple projects in each cycle. Therefore, a well thought-out and realistic budget is always a strong consideration when selecting our partners.
- Priority will be given to activities that support protecting and growing the Greenbelt, curbing urban sprawl, protecting natural areas from quarry developments, and the promotion of smart, efficient urban growth.
- Projects that include partisan political activities will not be eligible to apply.
- Funding from the Greenbelt Action Fund can be allocated towards hard costs associated with proposed activities. Eligible expenses for a project include, but are not limited to: rental of equipment; materials, communications or promotional costs; and permits or facility rental fees.
- Please note that successful applicants will need to sign a contractual funding agreement with Environmental Defence prior to receiving funds, which will specify the activities to be carried out.
- Successful applicants are responsible for identifying and obtaining any permits, licences or other approvals required to conduct the project’s activities.
Non-Eligible Activities and Expenses
Any fees not directly related to the proposed activity are not eligible for funding. In addition, the following activities and expenses are not eligible:
- Staff salaries and honoraria
- Administrative or operating expenses
- Projects occurring on private land
- Capital expenditures
- Mileage, accommodation, meal costs or other travel expenses
- Expenses incurred prior to the application date
To be considered within an application round, submissions must be received by 11:59 pm EST on one of the submissions deadlines listed below, and must not contain any additional appendices or attachments. All applicants will be notified via email of a decision within 30 days of the submission deadline.
Upcoming submission deadlines:
- January 30, 2017
All submissions will be vetted to ensure they meet the eligibility criteria set out in the Guidelines and Application Form. Eligible submissions will be evaluated by our Review Committee on the following criteria:
- Project relevance and impact
- Level of community engagement
- Realistic and effective budget
- Feasibility of implementation plan
Terms of Reference
Once a project proposal has been submitted, it cannot be modified. Following application submission, Environmental Defence may seek clarification and supplementary information from any applicant. Environmental Defence may choose not to consider a submission containing misrepresentations or any inaccurate, misleading or incomplete information. Submission of a project application does not form a legally-binding contract with Environmental Defence.
Ready to apply?
If you are not able to submit your application online, please download and complete the following Application Form.